Saturday, January 21, 2012

"And then there's my father...He went off to Uruguay in June last year and he's been there ever since."
"Uruguay?! Why Uruguay?"
"He was thinking of settling there, believe it or not...once he's settled he'll send for me and my sister...he never answers our letters."
"What would you do if your father said 'Come to Uruguay'?"
"I'd go and have a look around at least. It might be fun..."
"Do you like your father?"
Midori shook her head. "Not especially."
"So how can you follow him to Uruguay?"
"I believe in him."
"Believe in him?"
"Yeah, I'm not that fond of him, but I believe in my father. How can I not believe in a man who gives up his house, his kids, his work, and runs off to Uruguay from the shock of losing his wife? Do you see what I mean?"
I sighed. "Sort of, but not really."
Midori laughed and patted me on the back. "Never mind," she said. "It really doesn't matter."

I wish I had a dollar for every person I believed in like that. Who, despite how I felt about them, I believed in.

Okay, so I'd only have about five bucks, but still.

No comments: