Thursday, November 8, 2007

A Quick Explanation

So I've realized that I was being terribly one-sided in my discussion of how I wish everyone would just slow the heck down and take the time to appreciate stuff and live more fulfilling lives. Because there are people who don't move at the break-neck pace of the East Coast...rather, Northeast Coast...and who says that they live more fulfilling lives than the rest of us? Everything in the South moves like nothing else exists, like nothing matters - and I find it intolerably slow. Lifestyles in other countries are like this, too - no one's in any thing remotely resembling a "rush," ever. I don't think I could handle that, all the time.

However, the fast pace of life here is only tolerable when it's simply a tool to keep you moving, to prevent idleness, to maintain excitement and interest. When the fast pace gets to be stressful and overwhelming, when it makes you blind to the important things in life, that's when I have a problem with it. And when it never stops, but just keeps getting faster, sucking you in deeper and deeper. That's when it becomes detrimental. I guess as in all things, a balance must be found.

I feel better having explained that to myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There was nothing for you to explain lol. I like listening to you and I'm sorry I havent been able to input more. Getting sick set me very behind, and comp sci already was owning my life so I have no time at all. Justin is coming to visit me this weekend and he'll be helping me study for my comp sci test so i dont fail lol. that is how bad it is. see you soon though!!!!!