Friday, March 26, 2010

I used to love that bit of time between going to bed and falling asleep. It was my favorite time of day. I owed nothing to no one, and was free to just lie in peace and dream.

Now I hate it.

Lately, I listen to the same 5 songs every night when I'm trying to go to sleep:
-- "Sweet Disposition" - The Temper Trap
-- "Moving pictures silent films" [Live] - Great Lake Swimmers
-- "I Won't Be Found" [Daytrotter] - The Tallest Man on Earth
-- "Hold Your Breath" [Daytrotter] - The Acorn
-- "Northern Lights" - Bowerbirds
If I'm still awake and not drifting off to sleep by the end of "Hold Your Breath," I know it's gonna be a while before I fall asleep. And it always is. It's awful. I can't stop thinking long enough to reach peace. And then when I do finally sleep, I often have terribly unsettling dreams, and don't sleep well. That's why I end up staying up so late, even when I'm exhausted: I know I'm going to have trouble sleeping regardless, and even if I don't, I'm likely going to have discomforting dreams.

I don't know what to do to fix it.

No comments: