Monday, February 11, 2008

I'm a theater dork.

I am. I love plays. I love musicals. Love reading them, listening to the scores/soundtracks, and seeing them performed. By pretty much anyone, as long as it's not completely horribly painful to watch (:: cough BCT Seussical cough ::).

I saw Toms River East do Footloose last night, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. In part because I knew/like a lot of the kids who were in it. In part, though, because I think I just really enjoy seeing kids do fun musicals. There's something about it that's different than seeing professionals put on musicals. I mean, either way it's awesome. But there's something in seeing young kids act like "adults". Well, maybe not adults. But when you're that age, everything is a rush. There's so much promise in life - everything is something new. And to celebrate that through performance is exhilarating.

It reminded me of something from The Jane Austen Book Club (yes, that again).

Prudie found herself in sudden sympathy with Coach Blumberg. How wise was it, after all, to encourage these children to play at great love? To tell them that romance was worth dying for, that simple steadfastness was stronger than any other force in the world? What Coach Blumberg believed - that there was something important about nine boys outpitching, outhitting, and outrunning nine other boys - seemed, by contrast, a harmless fraud. Jane Austen wrote six great romances, and no one died for love in any of them...

I just thought that was so interesting, looking at it that way. And I totally remember working backstage during those musicals. The behind-the-scenes relationships that came of the ones on stage, the drama and craziness, who made out with whom, who went out with whom. It was insanity. But like Fowler says:

Take phermones, add music, rehearsals day and night, people dying for love. What could you expect?

Such a wonderfully cheery book. All happy endings, but that's her point: reading Austen breeds romance. Too bad it's not true. ( :

No comments: