Saturday, January 5, 2008

"I have learned that to be with those that I like is enough."

I just wanted to mention this because it was bugging me last night.

I was hanging out with a bunch of friends, and later on, it was down to just six of us. One of them was leaving, and most of the others were teasing him because he kept making awkward statements, after which all of us would be silent because no one was quite sure what to say. Then after a moment someone would think of something. Either that or just start talking again anyway.

Anyway, after the Commander of Awkward Silences left, the five of us remaining were just sitting around talking. Well, the other four were talking - I was mostly listening (something else severely underrated). At one point, we all were quiet. It was late - 1:30 a.m., maybe - and at that hour, silence is just something that happens. You can't expect everyone to be as sharp or chatty as usual. Except after about 5 seconds of the peaceful quiet, one of the people left made some smartass remark about how it was like Mr. Awkward Silences never left, or about how he was still here in spirit or something.

It just pissed me off that there are people who can't just sit with friends in silence and enjoy their company, enjoy their presence. They're often the same people who always have to be "doing" something - they can't just hang out and enjoy other people's company; they have to be doing something and be active. I mean, I like having something to do, I like being busy and going places and "doing stuff," but at the same time, I don't think it's necessary. Like Walt Whitman said, "I have learned that to be with those that I like is enough." It really is. With true friends, you don't need them to entertain you or to talk to you all the time. More people need to learn that sometimes, just being with others is enough.

On a completely separate note, I just really love this song, and I can't find a decent cover of it, and I don't want to buy Rubber Soul just so I can listen to it when I have most of the other tracks. But here are the lyrics.

There are places I remember
All my life, though some have changed,
Some forever, not for better,
Some have gone and some remain.

All these places had their moments,
With lovers and friends I still can recall,
Some are dead and some are living,
In my life I’ve loved them all.

But of all these friends and lovers,
There is no one compares with you,
And these mem’ries lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new.

Though I know I’ll never lose affection
For people and things that went before,
I know I’ll often stop and think about them
In my life I love you more.

Though I know I’ll never lose affection
For people and things that went before,
I know I’ll often stop and think about them
In my life I love you more.
In my life I love you more.

The Beatles, "In My Life"

No comments: