Saturday, July 19, 2008

These angry people who are waiting to judge you...

...Have their own judgment that they'll have to live up to...
Ryan Adams and the Cardinals, "Life is Beautiful"

So lately I've been frustrated with the human tendency to judge others. It's just something that I hate accepting. Ironically.

My whole problem with people who tend to make snap judgments of others and hold it against them is connected to my annoyance with people who pretend to be what they aren't. If that makes sense. Occasionally someone will tell me they like that I'm just myself, I don't try to be anything, I just am myself, and I'm so accepting of everyone else. I don't quite understand why people ever try to be anything. You are what you are, and that's just how it is. I don't understand how people who try to be someone else, who are forever acting, can ever be truly happy.

What I understand more is people who hold themselves back. Who are never fully comfortable with just being themselves, in part because of people who judge them. I guess I understand that better because that's where I feel like I am right now. Trapped. Not completely free to just be myself, not because I want to be someone else, but because for some reason I can't understand, I feel like I need to hold myself back.

I wonder if I feel, unconsciously, like the people I know have this image of me that isn't quite accurate because they don't quite understand, and I, for whatever reason, feel like I need to continue to be what they think I am, to maintain the image of me that they see.

I guess, like usual, it all comes down to fear and love again. Mmm.

I have more to say but I'm beat.

----------------
Now playing: John Mayer - Dreaming With A Broken Heart

No comments: