Thursday, December 13, 2007

Billy: What’s the big deal here? So ya lost a job? Jules, I’ve lost twenty of ‘em since graduation. Plus a wife and kid. And, in a new development this morning, a handful of hair in the shower drain. That’s better. Ya know, this smells to me like a little bit of self-created drama. I should know; I’ve been starring in a few of my own.
Jules: Do you know what I’ve been doing every day since I got fired?
Billy: No. What?
Jules: I’ve been going down to the hospital and sitting with my step-monster. We’ve had the best talks we’ve ever had. Of course, she’s in a coma, which really pisses me off, because all that time, I just waited for one word from that woman about why father hates me so much. [Sobs, refusing cigarette] No!
Billy: Jules, y'know, honey, this isn't real. You know what it is? It's St. Elmo's Fire. Electric flashes of light that appear in dark skies out of nowhere. Sailors would guide entire journeys by it, but the joke was on them... there was no fire. There wasn't even a St. Elmo. They made it up. They made it up because they thought they needed it to keep ‘em going when things got tough, just like you're making up all of this. We're all going through this. It's our time on the edge.
Jules: I’m just so tired, Billy. I never thought I’d be so tired at 22. I just don’t even know who to be any more.
Billy: Join the club. You know, no one was buying this “together woman of the ‘80s” stuff anyway.
Jules: And all this time I was worried that you’d find out I wasn’t fabulous. [chuckles]
Billy: It’s cool. All this time I was afraid you’d find out I was irresponsible. [Jules laughs] Ha ha.
Kirby: [outside the door] It’s her laughing!
Kevin: Yeah, the hysterical laughter of the most freakishly schizophrenic paranoids.

-- St. Elmo's Fire

No comments: