Monday, May 12, 2008

Theater - Musical and Dramatic. And Joan.

Every time I see a great play or musical performed well, I contemplate completely abandoning my American Studies and Contemporary Arts majors to study theater management. Seriously. There is nothing quite like the experience of a good show. Les Mis, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Hairspray, Wicked, and Spring Awakening really aren't overrated in any way, shape or form, when you see them live, and Peter & Jerry and August: Osage County make up for five of the most enthralling, and mentally and emotionally stimulating hours of my life.

I was just thinking about this because I went to see Spring Awakening again today, with my mum. I didn't fully appreciate or enjoy it the first time around, and I'm so glad I got to see it with Jonathan Groff and Lea Michelle before they leave next week, even if John Gallagher Jr. has left already. It's an utterly brilliant show that I wish everyone I know could see. Not just hear the music from it - see it, live. It's such a different experience, hearing it and seeing it. You get so much more from seeing it, seeing the emotion in front of you. All the kids in that show (plus the two adults) give amazingly intense, energetic performances that are so emotionally draining for the audience, I can't imagine what it must be like to be in or work on the show what, eight times a week? I don't think I could ever really get tired of working on a truly brilliant show like that, though. The performers' dedication and passion are contagious.

Speaking of passion. Isn't it sad how apathetic people are? Including myself, though I finally seem to be finding a way out of that. How wonderful would it be if more people were enthusiastically passionate about living a good life? I like people like that. The people who challenge me, who rile me up and make me reaffirm my beliefs and reevaluate myself, who just unconsciously remind me of why everything is worthwhile in the end. I like that. I need that.

Lastly: 2 Joan quotes! : D

Joan: Why are you running away? You don’t seem to mind getting in people’s faces except for when it matters.
Grace: Oh, save it.
Joan: You hide Luke! Which yeah, okay, I kind of understand, but you hide your mom, you hide all the important stuff, Grace. Look, I’m not Jewish, but it seems to me this whole bat mitzvah thing is about standing up and declaring yourself! Getting in people’s faces for real.

Grace [at her bat mitzvah]: I know we’re all bonding here with the singing, but seriously, that is a bad song. [laughter] Anyway, me and my dad have been fighting about this day since I hit the double digits, and uh, I won’t go into it . . . It was a political thing, and a daughter of a rabbi thing, but finally, I gave in and indulged them in one last empty ritual before I’m outta here. But then, um, not to get all gooey, or anything like that . . . [turning to look at her father] When you handed me the Torah, and I read those words, it hit me: this is a genius way of attacking adulthood. I mean this scroll – there are no easy answers in here. It’s basically a book of questions, something that makes us keep searching for a way to make sense of this mess. And just dealing with a lot of questions, that takes a lot of guts when there’s no guarantee that there will be answers. And, uh, I just hope I’m up for it. So, fire up that cheesy music and let’s eat!

----------------
Now playing: Bbmak - Miss You More

No comments: