Saturday, October 9, 2010

One year.

It's funny how much things can change in such a short period of time.

One year ago today, I was going to the birthday party of a person I hardly knew. Getting my ass handed to me in a game of Civil War against strangers who are now friends. Pulling other friends out of back bedrooms. Being asked to run interference between someone's exboyfriend and a chick he was hitting on, without knowing why. Getting dragged to the apartment of a friend I was terribly angry with. Watching someone literally bow down on the floor to an empty whiskey bottle. Standing in the rain under a novelty umbrella listening to a distraught friend that everyone else was too wasted to pay attention to. Playing one-on-one beer pong. Going to another party in the 1st quad by myself, only to run into the one person I was trying most to avoid, who told me he liked my kicks. Dance partying in the 3rd quad with a coworker who was so drunk that the next day, she didn't remember seeing me. Hanging out on the balcony of 21 at 2:30am while everyone else smoked, and having it feel like the most normal part of my night. Crying for half an hour in the parking lot at 3:30am because no one could hear me.

Six months ago today is blank in my mind. I don't remember it. I don't remember what happened. I was supposed to go to MoMA and I didn't. I don't know why. There are a lot of gaps in my memory like this, in regards to last spring. It's slightly disconcerting.

Three months ago I was working because the day before, I had gone up to school for my boss's going away party, I had hung out at Moe's for four hours, and I had tried to see The Front Bottoms in Montclair but a lot of unfortunate circumstances caused me to miss most of their set. And the next day I was set to go to a hat tournament in Sussex which got rained out, and I went to a graduation party where I felt so beyond awkward, it took 2 hours of beach therapy and a sunrise to feel properly myself again.

One month ago I was being awkward and getting lost in Monmouth County.

Today I slept. Now I'm going to forage. And get some work done. And go out to Kew Gardens in the morning. And photograph a lot.

Change is good.

1 comment:

sketchsteph said...

Keep 'em coming Corey