Thursday, March 27, 2008

Last thing, I swear.

Also for my benefit, and I guess for posterity in general, haha, because I've been forgetting this lately (despite it being posted on my wall right near my desk):

"It was one of those days when it's a minute away from snowing, and there was this electricity in the air - you can almost hear it, right. And this bag was just . . . dancing with me. Like a little kid begging me to play with it. For fifteen minutes. That's the day I realized that there was this . . . entire life behind things. And this incredibly benevolent force, that wanted me to know there was no reason to be afraid. Ever. Video's a poor excuse, I know. But it helps me remember. I need to remember. Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in..."
- Ricky Fitts, American Beauty


Damnit. There was something else I wanted to stick here too.

Oh well.

I've got a habit of looking up
At the sky, to stay rooted
‘Cause souls don't die, I don't think,
They all just get diluted
It's true and

Everyone is lookin’ around
Askin’, “What am I supposed to do
With the information? –
Just give me back my youth.”

And baby, your eyes are cold and jaded
Come with me, live unpremeditated
And even though you might lose control
Of what you meant to try to be
It's only vanity

You blame sinners and cigarettes
But you'd better just get over all that
It’s the TV – it’s been real busy
Makin’ subtlety extinct

Were we wiser, maybe if we knew
What starts the souring of a view
Then we wouldn't all drink so much
To relax away the kinks

And baby, the party makes me feel jaded
So lonely and premeditated
And even though we might lose control
Of what we meant to try to be
It's only vanity

And it’s only vanity
It's not what you mean
Or how you dream
About the life you’re meant to lead
It’s all forgotten, for the way it seems

Lookin’ out on a summer day
Is better when it's on the way
Than in retrospect, when intellect
Tells you what you've forgotten

Side effects you can't prevent
Like where April through August went
And how we ripened, and were left
There bruised and cold and rotten

And baby, slide on into bed ‘cause you've made it
Walk and sleep, and the risk is eradicated
And now you know that you won't lose control
Of what you meant to try to be
And it's only vanity

- Chris Ayer, "Vanity"

----------------
Now playing: Ingrid Michaelson - Overboard

No comments: