Thursday, March 27, 2008

Yeah, I lied again.

I can't help it. I'm enjoying this book too much.

"I felt physically sick. It was a long time since I had received a letter from my wife. I had forced her to write it and I could feel her pain in every line. Her pain struck at my pain: we were back at the old routine of hurting each other. If only it were possible to love without injury--fidelity isn't enough: I had been faithful to Anne and yet I had injured her. The hurt is in the act of possession: we are too small in mind and body to possess another person without pride or to be possessed without humiliation. In a way I was glad that my wife had struck out at me again--I had forgotten her pain for too long, and this was the only kind of recompense I could give her. Unfortunately the innocent are always involved in any conflict. Always, everywhere, there is some voice crying from a tower...

"I thought, 'How much you pride yourself on being dégagé, the reporter, not the leader-writer, and what a mess you make behind the scenes. The other kind of war is more innocent than this. One does less damage with a mortar.'

"...There was another half-page, which I didn't read, before 'Affectionately, Helen.' I think it contained news of the weather and an old aunt of mine I loved.

"I had no cause for complaint, and I had expected this reply. There was a lot of truth in it. I only wished that she had not thought aloud at quite such length, when the thoughts hurt her as well as me."

- Thomas Fowler, The Quiet American by Graham Greene

I guess while I'm here, I might as well throw in more lyrics.

Taken in context
It's not a bad thing
But when you start to pick it apart
It gets so depressing...

You peel back the layers
And get down to the inside
But sometimes you loose sight
Of what it was you were trying to find

It's that sort of thing
That makes you think too much
It's that sort of thing
That makes you lose your objectivity

So if you made it
Just be glad that you did and stay there
If you ever feel loved or needed
Remember that you're one of the lucky ones
And if it's over
Just remember what I told you
It was bound to happen so just
Keep moving on
There are no perfect endings
No perfect endings...

- Straylight Run, "The Perfect Ending"


----------------
Now playing: Breaking Benjamin - Unknown Soldier

No comments: