Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The clouds above us join and separate...

...The breeze in the courtyard leaves and returns.
Life is like that, so why not relax?
Who can stop us from celebrating?

No one. I've been in an astonishingly good mood for quite a few days now, and I think I know why. Can't explain it though. It just is, and whatever. I'm not going to think about it.

Rawr. I can't find the quote I'm looking for. It says something to the effect of, you can't think of life as a series of battles, of wins and losses, because once you do, you've already lost. To an extent, I think that's true. On the one hand, competition can motivate, but on the other, that's really not what it's about. Battle with yourself, maybe. But once you start assuming that there are winners and losers in life, and that one must exist for the other to - if you think that you're a winner, you start cultivating that arrogance, that snobbish "I'm better than you" feeling, and then you're lost. That's such a common theme in the Russian stories I've been reading this semester - the downfall of the arrogant or powerful. It's definitely something to be aware of, I think. But also, there's a difference between confidence and arrogance.

(Update 4/16: Found it. Duh. The Bisy Backsons who think of progress in terms of fighting and overcoming. Makes sense considering that verse up there is also from The Tao of Pooh.)

On a completely separate note, I really enjoy Augustana's EP (particularly the song "Hey Now") that came out a month or however long ago, and I'm really looking forward to their new album. Ditto Gavin DeGraw's, and, when they finally come, Anna Nalick's and Howie Day's.

----------------
Now playing: Augustana - I Still Ain't Over You

No comments: