Saturday, April 19, 2008

Yet another movie that I really enjoyed. I enjoy a lot of movies.

Juno: I'm losing my faith in humanity.
Mac MacGuff: Think you can narrow it down for me?
Juno: I guess I wonder sometimes if people ever stay together for good.
Mac MacGuff: You mean like couples?
Juno: Yeah, like people in love.
Mac MacGuff: Are you having boy troubles? I gotta be honest; I don't much approve of dating in your condition, 'cause well... that's kind of messed up.
Juno: Dad, no!
Mac MacGuff: Well, it's kind of skanky. Isn't that what you girls call it? Skanky? Skeevy?
Juno: Please stop now.
Mac MacGuff: [persisting] Tore up from the floor up?
Juno: Dad, it's not about that. I just need to know if it's possible for two people to stay happy together forever, or at least for a few years.
Mac MacGuff: It's not easy, that's for sure. Now, I may not have the best track record in the world, but I have been with your stepmother for 10 years now and I'm proud to say that we're very happy.
[Juno nods]
Mac MacGuff: In my opinion, the best thing you can do is find a person who loves you for exactly what you are. Good mood, bad mood, ugly, pretty, handsome, what have you, the right person will still think the sun shines out your ass. That's the kind of person that's worth sticking with.

Gosh. He makes it sound so easy. Hahaha. My whole problem with Daddy MacGuff's logic is that finding someone who loves you for exactly what you are means finding someone that you trust as someone who definitely knows what you are. I mean, let's say you find someone and you both fall in love and all that fun stuff, and you're together for quite a while. But one day, he/she discovers something they never knew about you, or realizes that you aren't what they thought you were. Then what does that leave you with? Someone you thought loved you but realizes they love someone who doesn't exist? Great.

In that sense, maybe "what you are" is simply defined by your most basic beliefs and habits. Strip away the attitudes, behaviors, and whatnot, to the constants, or at least to the variables least likely to change. Say, the way you say hi to strangers. The way you always put others before yourself. The way you grow your own herbs or make your own clothes or forget to put the cap on the toothpaste. Stupid little things. Some of which reflect bigger things. But still.

I dunno. It's 4:32 am and I should so be sleeping. Bottom line: I really like Juno and everyone should see it. The end.

No comments: